Graduate Certificate in Higher Education Academic Practice
A Course for the Times
Get in Touch
Face to Face (Melbourne) and Online
Online delivery is available for only domestic/resident students
Feb, Jun, Oct
Get in Touch
Course Description: Graduate Certificate in
Higher Education Academic Practice
Transforming education for the future
Graduate Certificate in Higher Education Academic Practice is designed to enhance the knowledge, skills and understanding of academic practice in the higher education sector. This course will suit professionals who seek to enhance their understanding of academic practices in higher education, in particular teaching, learning, research, and course design; academics who seek to professionally develop their academic practice; academics who seek to upgrade their qualifications as part of their scholarly activity; and academics or professionals who are transitioning from the VET sector to teach in higher education. The Graduate Certificate in Higher Education Academic Practice has been accredited by TEQSA.
Graduates of this course will be able to:
- Reflect critically on their educational practice
- Explore scholarship and research related to higher education learning and teaching
- Construct effective pedagogies drawn from best practice principles
- Understand the nature and purposes of higher education course and assessment design to enhance delivery and the achievement of student learning outcomes.
This course will suit professionals who seek to enhance their understanding of academic practices in higher education, in particular teaching, learning, research, and course design; academics who seek to professionally develop their academic practice; academics who seek to upgrade their qualifications as part of their scholarly activity; and academics or professionals who are transitioning from the VET sector to teach in higher education.
Course Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Graduate Certificate in Higher Education Academic Practice will be able to:
- Apply an advanced, systematic and coherent body of knowledge of good practice in independent higher education providers (iHEPs) with cognitive skills to understand the quantitative and qualitative aspects of effective academic practice.
- Critically review, analyse, consolidate and synthesise relevant academic practice information for effective decision-making and to identify and provide innovative solutions to complex problems and challenges. • Apply specialised technical and creative skills to teach within a complex and multi-faceted iHEP and monitor the achievement of stakeholder performance targets and outcomes.
- Communicate complex knowledge, concepts, ideas and skills clearly and succinctly including through the full range of communication media.
- Demonstrate the application of knowledge and skills in relation to complex and diverse academic practice issues through initiating, planning, implementing and evaluating based on informed judgements.
- Demonstrate the application of knowledge and skills with responsibility and accountability for personal performance outcomes and for the overall performance outcomes of relevant stakeholders.
Subjects and Units
|Learning and Teaching^
|Design for Learning^
^ available online and face-to-face
* available online only
|Total for Course
- Students must successfully complete all 4 subjects listed above and accrue a total of 16 credit points to be awarded the qualification.
- Subjects can be taken in any order (subject to availability).
- Domestic students may study full-time or part-time and take all their subjects online or opt to undertake designated subjects (^) face-to-face at HELI’s Melbourne campus.
- Onshore international students (studying on a student visa) must study full-time face-to-face at HELI’s Melbourne campus with the exception of the designated online subject (*) which is not offered face-to-face and must be studied online for alignment with subject focus.
- Offshore international students will complete the course 100% online and may study full-time or part-time.
- Full-time students (including onshore international students) normally complete 2 subjects per Term and complete the course in 6 months or 2 Terms.
- Part-time students normally complete 1 subject per Term and complete the course in 1 year.
Each subject is delivered over a study period of 10 weeks which includes 9 weeks of structured activities and 1 week for finalising and submitting assessments. Each subject has 4 hours of structured educator-directed activities per week and you should allow an average of 8 hours per week of self-directed activities for reading, additional study and preparing assessment tasks.
Details of subject aims, content and assessment tasks can be found via the subject code in the table above.
Holistic Approach to eLearning
Excellence in eLearning
Learning Design and Execution
Innovation in Learning and Education
The Graduate Certificate in Higher Education Academic Practice has been accredited by TEQSA. The Higher Education Leadership Institute (HELI) is an institution of higher education aimed at serving targeted industry, higher education, and government education needs. Through its team of higher education experts and researchers, HELI currently delivers global best-practice specialist programs in elearning, higher education and research. In doing so, HELI seeks to develop employment outcomes for graduates in higher education and industry and to promote career advancement within these sectors. With an initial focus on elearning and now through education in research, HELI is committed to supporting the development of modern elearning and research skills across the economy. HELI’s selected programs are aimed at enhancing data-based decision-making and delivery of education and development programs across education and business sectors to meet today’s organisational development needs.
Applicants for this course must provide evidence that they hold a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent or higher) in any discipline(subject to verification).
Students who have completed subjects in the Graduate Certificate in Higher Education Academic Practice will be eligible for 4 subjects credit into the Master of eLearning
HELI offers a pathway to Master of eLearning and an exceptional eLearning and digital experience with the combination of unique methodology, contemporary theory and industry practice.
Graduate Certificate in Higher Education Academic Practice designed to support learners aim to advance their careers as teaching and research or education-focused academics or casual university teachers.
HELI is committed to supporting higher education professionals by providing engaging, industry-leading qualifications that prepare you for success in your current position or future aspirations. Our team includes experts across a number of disciplines including teaching and learning technologies who can help guide your progress through this fast-paced field!
While the regulatory framework of Australia’s higher education sector is complex, our experts can help your institution navigate it with ease. We also provide strategic advice to prospective buyers and merger partners concerning any issues that may arise from this process.